Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fashion Advice for the Broke College Student

     Let me start by saying that I am NOT the most fashionable person in the world. When writing on subjects such as this one, it is important to show oneself humble because, really, you can't just give fashion advice and be prideful about it. That's not cool. 
    While I am not the most fashionable of young women, I'd like to think my style is somewhat unique and very cute. I'll be honest, In my formative years, I experimented with certain fashions that are not to be experimented with, i.e. the excessive layering of prints that don't match, flare jeans as leggings or even an occasional ripped under shirt here and there. I also went through a stage where I wanted to dress like a gangster boo. Shameful, I know. That was until I discovered the dress, a perfect solution for the thick, petite figure. 
I am often asked about my outfits.  Many of you would be surprised to know that a majority of my clothes come from Goodwill. Yes, Goodwill. I am not the one to spend excessive amounts of money on clothing (though I do get a little out of control at times).
Here's the breakdown:


75%  of my clothes come from Goodwill
15%  are from Forever 21
5%    are hand-me-downs
2%    are free
3% from random stores like Target and Ross




Most of my clothing items cost less than $10 each. Usually less than that even. Here's the secret.


Cardigans are a staple item
  •  They are easy to find in thrift stores because lots of old people give them away (creepy, I know). I always buy a bright colored one. Yellow ones are my favorite. Next to that is red, then grey. 

Vintage Tee's are also great if you find a good one
  • Don't waste your money at Forever 21 looking for a vintage tee that isn't really vintage. Thrift stores have real vintage tee's for a lot less! 
        

  • Dresses are a thrift store's best kept secret. Most of my dresses come from the thrift store in fact! Why, because NOBODY looks in the dress section of the thrift store. So all the vintage, boho, classy dresses are left alone for me to find. I have actually found really nice dresses from stores like Anne Taylor Loft (what I usually find), Express and American eagle. 


    



  • Skirts are easily found and easy to fit in to your wardrobe. All it takes is a nice shirt and a cute belt! There are TONS and TONS of interesting skirts to look through!


If you're a broke college student like me, then perhaps Goodwill is the place to start looking. I understand that Goodwill is a little weird to some people, but for me it does just fine. Don't abandon regular stores though! You definitely need to keep your style fresh and interesting with some new items! But if you're pinchin' nickels together like me, don't hesitate to stop by your local thrift store and take a look around.

* I will not neglect to mention that after saying all of this, my favorite store in the whole world  is Anthropologie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment