Saturday, May 7, 2011

Coping Mechanisms: An End of Semester Reflection

      The past few years have been filled with numerous changes and adjustments for me. This year in particular has brought the most change I've had in awhile. Looking back on it, I am surprised with my ability to cope with such changes! When I left PBA for GSU I was terrified to go to a large, secular/public university. There would be "wild, libidinous college boys walking around like rabid animals", boisterous, animalistic parties and worst of all......co-ed dorms! 
Not surprisingly, GSU is the home to all of the aforementioned things....... perhaps that's an understatement. Although those things are pretty normal to like, 90% of all college students, I had not yet been exposed to such...behaviors. I didn't think I could cope with leaving my friends who had been so dear to me or the sunsets that I loved watching so much. 
I don't know why I thought the entire transition would be so traumatizing, but I did. Not that it has been a picnic. I said I was coping...not adjusting, remember? This has definitely been one of my hardest semesters ever. As the semester closes, I am forced to look back over the last few months. I had a lot of alone time. Too much probably. I have succeeded in some areas, failed in others, met new people, and learned new things. All in all,  this 3 month stint at GSU was sucked up, and finished with victory. I think it's time I go home now....

No comments:

Post a Comment