Monday, February 27, 2012

My Year of Break-Ups

     Yesterday I celebrated my 22nd birthday! I've noticed that birthdays always make you asses the etire last year of your life as much as possible! I can definitely say that my 21st year on earth was different from my other years. There were some successes, some failures, some awkward moments (of course) and some very honest moments. This year has changed me in so many ways, yet somehow kept me the same. When I think about the past year, I think the word, "break-ups". For me, this year has been a year of break-ups...No...Not with boys, but with everything I was used to.
     It all started with my break-up with my college of 2.5 years and is now ending with the break-up from my most jovial and consistent companion, my puppy.  Throughout this year, I have had break-ups with friends that I thought would be there forever, plans that I thought were fool-proof, dreams I held extremely close, things I thought I wanted and even with my own self. I wont lie, it has been tough. Really tough. But, at some point you realize that very few things are permanent. It helps you let things go and just live. Part of living life is letting go of the past and treating each day like a new beginning.
     Three years ago, I would have never thought that I would go from living at the beach, to living in the middle of nowhere, to living in an apartment in Athens, with a dog whose days are numbered... Much of my journey was very lonely. I have been in different towns, with different people and had different experiences. It's all made me a little bit tougher in ways I wouldn't have ever imagined.
     You see, part of going through a break-up is that it makes you stronger and able to move forward. At 22 I am not entirely the same person I was at 21 (naturally). So this year, I look forward to learning new things and becoming the person that fits best in my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment